Alcohol Abuse

Topics: Alcoholic beverage, Alcoholism, Alcohol Pages: 3 (825 words) Published: April 28, 2013
Drinking is: fun, makes me more sociable, makes me more relaxed, helps me forget all my problems and lastly, everyone drinks (attention). More than likely a lot of you have heard someone say these thing or even say these things yourself when it comes to drinking (connection). When in fact there is a lot more to drinking alcohol than you think (importance). Growing up I was surrounded by someone who did heavy drinking in my home, and for the past week of researching my topic I now know the toll alcohol take on people first hand (credibility). That is why after my presentation, I want my audience to know three main disadvantages of alcohol abuse which are: impairs judgment, harm the body, and may cause death (thesis). Body:

According to, “Alcohol is best understood as a drug that reduces a person’s ability to think rationally and distorts his or her judgment” (Foundation for a Drug-Free World, 2006–2013). In other words, Alcohol can make a person do things, and take chances they normally wouldn’t while sober (you factor). An example of this would be: becoming violent, experimenting with drugs, having unprotected sex, or drinking and driving. In a community- based study, Pernanen found that, “42 percent of violent crimes reported to the police involved alcohol” (statistic). In the Chicago tribune there was an article about a Lombard man Adam B. Hearn, 33, he was sentenced 6 ½ years for aggravated battery. His toxic reported stated that he was heavily intoxicated. Hearn said. “I made a horrible decision and I’m sick about it” (Ward, 2012). Now that I have talked about how alcohol abuse impairs your judgment, Listen to the ways alcohol abuse harms the body (signpost). Studies stated from Jack E. Henningfield, states that “when someone has an alcoholic drink, the stomach absorbs about 20 percent of the alcohol, and the remaining 80 percent is absorbed by the small intestine” (Henning field, 2008). In other words majority of alcohol is...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Effects of Alcohol Abuse on College Students Essay
  • Alcohol Misuse Among the Elderly Essay
  • Alcohol vs Weed Essay
  • Why alcohol should not be legal? Research Paper
  • Alcohol Essay
  • The Effects of Alcohol Consumption on College Students Essay
  • relationship between alcohol and violence Essay
  • The Health Effects of Alcohol on Teen Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free